Friday, June 20, 2014

@SayMikey x Sliktron Interview

@theradioshaq has a one on one interview with artist Michael Hunter. His taste in hip-hop blends over into his original art work. Get to know the artist and his pieces below. 



How did you first begin painting? 
It actually started off as an outlet. I already knew how to sketch a little but I saw a video of a guy in New York City spray paint a landscape picture and I was like "I want to try this." 

Did your family always accept your career path?
They always wanted me to do what made me happy and grow. Wish my grandfather was alive to see tho.

Did you ever question if painting can be a career?
I did before because it was actually just a hobby. My real love is music. 


What's been the hardest thing about evolving as a painter so far?
"Time"--it's very demanding. 

Who's some of your favorite painters of all time?
1. Da Vinci's "Last Supper" painting had so much going on in it.

2. Basquait's "Wealthy vs Poverty" dichotomies was dope.

3. Van Gogh he had some cold landscapes.



What other kind of artist are you inspired by? Who specifically?
3D brush painters and Kurt Wenner. 

I see that you paint rappers a lot, how important is Hip Hop when it comes to your work?
It's important because I live my love for music through it.

I've seen you paint Biggie, and Pac, and Hov, who do you think is the greatest rapper of all time?

Man, that's a hard question. They are all my top 3.
As of today, Hov. But, if they were all flourishing at the same time, probably Biggie.

Do you consider what you do to be Hip Hop?
In a sense, hip hop is art. My spray painting is an art, too. Just instead of pen and paper, I have a can and canvas.

How was your experience at Live In The Sky? I feel like it catapulted you to the spotlight!



I actually enjoyed it. Great experience and those who put it together were cool people.
You would be right, it gave me that big shove.

Are some pieces of your art harder for you to let go than others?
Yes, Malcolm X to be specific. 


What's the most positive thing you've heard about being a painter, and what's the most negative thing?
I've heard that I'm very creative and I'm progressing fast but as far as negative, surprisingly, nothing yet. 

Where do you want to take your career in the next year?
I actually want to travel to other countries and do art on buildings. Hopefully that happens before next year. 

Have you been thinking of ways to expand your hustle? Or is it all about painting right now? 

Yeah, I have been having a lot of ideas I want to bring to life. 

I think it's time you had a separate art showcase just for yourself, is that something you see in the near future? 
You and my moms are on the same page but in the near future, it will happen.
Anything you wanna say to your supporters out there?
I love and appreciate y'all, forreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment